Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hang on a sec

Found a new blog today, by Diana (Douglas?), who I don't know very well, and should probably google, but I know that her husband wrote Quiet, Please: Dispatches of a Public Librarian (he and I also exchanged a few emails last year when I added his book to my to-read list on Goodreads. Very nice. We talked about the Anaheim Library and my faint childhood memories of pinocchio).

Anyway, An interesting post of hers highlighted a few sexist ads from earlier decades. I clicked on this one for a close-up view:



And I almost didn't notice the woman at the bottom of the photo - faceless, nameless woman, hanging onto a rope, and who looks like she isn't getting up that rock face any time soon. And get a load of the men above her - chatting with each other, ignoring her! The one on the left looks like he's reeling in a salmon, in my opinion. Personally, I don't blame her for being a drag. First thing I would do after getting home from this trip is find some hand balm and a divorce lawyer. Thank goodness I was born in the 80s.

1 comment:

Brooke S. said...

that's kind of amazing...in an awful way.