Saturday, December 10, 2011

30 Days of Book Discussion: Day 16

Favorite female character


Ay, carumba.  Seriously?  Because all I read are books from a female POV (point of view).

I really like female characters that kick butt.  Um, literally.  Favorite characters that would fit into this category are:

Claudia from Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (can you say wedding dress snowstorm?)
Saba from Blood Red Road by Moira Young (a pile of red hot whoop ass!)
Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore (kind of the ultimate butt-kicker)
Vin from Mistborn (Wait, no, she's the ultimate butt-kicker)
Wait, I'm forgetting about the ultimate ultimate butt-kicker:
Katniss from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, of course.

I'm not really talking about The Hunger Games much in this 30 day book discussion, because I just assume by now that every other person on the planet has read this and loved it and we all just understand that it's now the standard to which we hold all other works of young adult dystopian fiction, to their very certain detriment.  If you haven't read it yet, you should probably start looking for a rock to live under.

But seriously, I really do love Katniss.  Reading this book from Katniss's POV is like reading thoughts coming from my own head, she's THAT readable and sympathetic and natural.

Alright.  Well apart from kick-butt young adult heroines, there are a few other female characters that I have come to love over the years:

Minnie from The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Skeeter is great and Aibileen I adored, but I really connected with Minnie.  It's probably the humor that she brought to this story, but also her strong personality and no-nonsense way of working with the world.  Also the way this story slowly transformed her and ultimately the strength that she gained.

Rosie Winter from The Rosie Winter Mysteries by Kathryn Miller Haines.  I will be talking more about these books on day 24, but I absolutely love Rosie and her sassy, witty, caring, unpretentious personality.

Anne of Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery.  Again, more on this on day 21, but I will just say that having Anne in my life for a few months made my heart lighter and life sweeter.

And because I have to talk about Brandon Sanderson in every blog post now (it's NOT Mistborn this time!) I must definitely include Sarene from Elantris.  Here's how it goes down: girl is engaged, girl shows up to the new country she's moving to for this guy and finds out he's DEAD, but she's still legally obligated to stay there.  So what does she do?  Makes freaking lemonade, that's what!

Really, she comes back from this blow by throwing herself into this new country and tries to make it better and help the people there.  All the while unaware that her betrothed is really not dead.  Poor thing. But this girl really impressed me.  When I read that she got to this country and found out her fiance was dead I was like - great, now I get to watch her mope for half the book (that's SO Bella).

But Sarene completely surprised me and in the wake of her dashed hopes she rises up and kicks butt (metaphorically this time) by doing good and becoming a force to be reckoned with among powerful men. I guess I just love a strong woman.
*wolf whistle*

By the way, click on the picture to the right if you haven't seen this meme yet.

No comments: