Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Your First Day


The first time I heard your voice was on the phone. I was talking to your mom about coming to see you in the hospital, and suddenly you spoke up. It hit me like a ton of bricks, because you were really there.


I got on the freeway to come down and see you, and was surprised at how beautiful the sky was. You have to realize that after so many days of nothing but grey and dark, the sudden blue of the sky was like a miracle.



It snowed all night after you were born, so the whole world was covered. It seems like everything was made new and special for your first day in the world.





I pulled out my camera and snapped some photos while driving, because despite the danger, I thought you might be interested some day. The sun was going down on your first day of life, and that really only happens once.



When I got to the hospital, I couldn't see you right away and I talked to your grandma about all the details.





Then I finally got to meet you, got to see you for the first time. It was all pretty surreal, and your mom agrees. Except for the very first moment that I saw you. That was very real. You were so real. It all got kinda hazy after that and I talked to your mom for awhile about how she was feeling and what had happened. But I got to hold you while we talked and you were so peaceful and happy to get a rest! (You had been through a lot).


Jillian, I'm so glad you're here. You're a special little girl, and after so many months of waiting it's amazing to meet you.

No comments: