Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Two more days to go

Thursday will be 21 days, and a new habit. I think the whole "21 days to a habit" concept is pretty accurate. It's part of my routine now, and I just make sure to make it part of my day. I think it's all about routine - if I can get a good one going each day, then I think I can get a lot done. Getting a normal routine is a little hard, though, when my work schedule varies so much each day.

So my exercise goal was to do at least 15 minutes of these workouts everyday. But around day 15 I started to realize that I wasn't sore anymore, and my workout was getting pretty easy. So I talked it over with Michael (for advice), and I decided to try to push it to 30 minutes everyday, which I've been doing since Saturday. And I'm exhausted! I think starting out with 15 minutes a day was a really good idea, because it didn't kill me, and it helped me to establish the routine. And as soon as it got easier for me and when I started being more consistent, moving to 30 minutes wasn't so de-motivating that I stopped doing it altogether.

Not to say that it hasn't been hard. Yesterday I answered "Nothing can stop me!" When Maya asked me how I was feeling before the workout started, and unfortunately I thought I was going to die from minute 2 to 30. Today I answered "Not too bad" and thankfully sadistic Maya didn't make my lungs ache for air by minute 2 this time.

But I think 30 minutes is a good place to be, though it's a little harder to work into the schedule. I'm sore again, which oddly makes me think I'm doing something right. Even mypyramid.gov suggests at least 30 minutes a day of exercise for a healthy lifestyle.

So Thursday will be day 21, or alternatively, day 1 for a new habit goal. I've been thinking A LOT about what I want to do. I have a big list of ideas, and I'm tempted to try to combine some of them, but I think focusing on one thing really helped - it wasn't overwhelming and I could see my progress. Plus, having to remind myself to do several new things each day might make it easier to rationalize throwing one out the window here and there... Nope, it has to be one new goal to focus on for 21 days. Does anyone have any ideas for me to add to my list? Stuff that maybe you yourself want to do better on?

*Update*
I think I'll put up a poll on this blog on Thursday, and you guys can vote to help me pick my new 21-day goal. I think this will be a good way to sneak in two goals, because I can have a personal goal and a group goal. So be sure to check back on Thursday and vote! (It will probably be depressing for me to see how few people read this blog) Be sure to add comments with ideas for me!

1 comment:

Jacque said...

Here's some ideas (things I need to work on): do something to organize/do scrapbooking everyday, read scriptures + 1 ensign article everyday, do 1 thing each day to beautify/organize my home

If you have any ideas on how to do everything everyday, I'd like to know. It seems like it works to focus on one thing at a time, but then I just drop it for the next thing....