Thursday, August 21, 2008

be·wil·dered - completely puzzled or confused; perplexed.

A girl came up to my desk today and just stood in front of me for a minute. I usually ask people if I can help them, but she wasn't looking at me, she was looking at a flyer. But after a minute it became clear that she wasn't looking at the flyer, she was just staring off into space. Begin our interaction:

Me: "Can I help you?"
Her: "Do you have any books on cortex?"
Me: "Cortex?"
Her: "Yes, it's my cultural heritage."

Then she walked away. But she wasn't really walking away, she was walking around the massive desk area that I sit in.

At the farthest point from me she whispered loudly, "Did you find anything yet?"
I waited for her to come back around.

Me: "Are you sure it's the cortex that you want?"
Her: "Yes."
Me: "Well, we have books that cover the cerebral cortex."
Her: "No, just find anything you have that has to do with cortex."
Me: "All I have is the cerebral cortex."
Her: "Ok, Where is that?"


I gave her the call number and she walked away. I thought maybe she meant Cortez, but he's a guy, not a cultural heritage. Unless you're related to him.

But she didn't really have that Spanish conquistador look about her.

1 comment:

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.